Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fix the fuse first and get it on its gear again


Being a fiscally limited aviator, I was up against the wall $ wise on what to do with the gear...The plane came with a Grove gear,It's bent but repairable by Grove for the tune of 500$ plus freight both ways..I priced the parts to do the RV-3 type setup and decided to go with that setup.I already have a builder# from Van's from a very slow moving RV-4 project, so obtaining the RV gear legs wasn't a problem.I emailed Bret Davenport on the east coast for some diagrams and a material list.He sent me a very detailed PDF on what I needed to know.In the previous post's photos ,you can see that the engine mount has the tubes cut out waiting for the sockets.I fabbed up the sockets and cut the crossmember tubes I welded up the sockets and they are now at a machine shop getting the thru holes drilled in them. They will be done next week.
Tonite I cut the 5/8 tube mounts for the rudder pedals off of the old center diagonals witha hacksaw, further grinding will be required for the install of these. Here's a photo of the old center section.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it coming; this will be fun watching from a distance??????

    ReplyDelete